Learning how to start a blog and make money was the best thing I could have done in my entire life. The reasons to start a blog are endless.
From gaining influence to building an awesome network of people that share the same goals, dreams, and ambitions as you to having the ability to express yourself creatively, record your memories for “future you” to enjoy, and help others succeed in the process.. making a blog can be one of the most fulfilling things you could ever do in your entire life.
But not only can blogging be fun.. you can also make some serious cash with it. Today we are going to learn exactly how to start a blog and make money so that you can live one helluva crazy life.
Learning how to make money blogging is a simple process:
- Create Your Blog
- Focus On Building Your 1000 True Fans
- Create Content That Solves a Problem
- Get People to Opt-in to Your Email List
- Offer a Product to Solve The Problem
First things first my friends. We need to host your website. Hosting can get really complicated when explaining it but its basically you renting out a piece of the internet for your blog to call home.
Bluehost is the web hosting that I use for mikevestil.com and they have been amazing. They have a 30 day money back guarantee and their customer service rocks. There were many times that my dummy of a brain couldn’t comprehend the most simplest of things and they guided me throughout the entire process no matter how long it took me to understand so I one hundred percent recommend them.
After you click on the image above or visit Bluehost’s website here follow the instructions below:
Part A) First Things First
Click on the big green button that says get started now
Part B) Pick Your Plan
Don’t worry the cheapest option is fine.
Part C) Choose Your Free Domain Name
An example of mine is mikevestil.com. If your domain name that you wanted isn’t available then keep on brainstorming ideas until one is available for you.
Part D) Fill In Your Details
Choose how long you want to host your website. If its your first time blogging than the 1 year option will be your best bet. And all the extra stuff below that they have you add on you can just simply remove it. You don’t need them when starting off.
Part E) After You are Done Creating Your Password
You want to login to your bluehost account and look for the “Install WordPress” Icon then press start on the next page
Part F) A New Page Will Pop Up
Find the domain you chose in the dropdown menu and select it. Then press check domain.
Part G) You Will Then See This Page
Leave the first box unchecked but make sure to checkmark the terms and conditions part.
Part H) Installation Complete
The next page will then confirm that the installation is complete. Click View Credentials.
Part I) You’re Ready to Rock and Roll
Log into your blog in the url provided or go to whateverthenameofyourblogis.com/wp-admin/.
- Go over to the appearance tab on the left
- Pick a theme for your website (don’t worry we can customize it later)
- After you chose a theme you can activate it.
- Then go over to the posts tab on the dashboard on the left and create your first ever blogpost!
Pop the champaign! Pour some shots of tequila, and lets celebrate, you just created your first ever blog!
The next step of this process is focusing on building your 1000 true fans. This is based off of Kevin Kelly’s 1000 true fan theory that states all you need is 1000 true fans and you never have to work again.
Let’s take Michael Jordan. Whenever ever he comes out with a new shoe, right before it is released to the public, millions of people are such big fans that they literally camp outside the store overnight and wait till it opens in the morning – all for a freak’n shoe. They are so crazy in love with Michael that they are willing to wait all that time just to spend several hundreds of dollars for a product that simply has his name on it.
This is what it takes:
- A true fan is someone that loves your work so much, they are willing to buy whatever it is that you make because they love you that much.
- You don’t need millions of fans like Michael.. all you need is 1000 that truly love what you do.
For example, lets take a starving musician who loves playing music and nothing else. All he or she needs to do is find 1000 people that are obsessed with their music. So much so that every year whenever this musician comes out with a new Album, T shirts, or a concert.. these 1000 people are willing to give them $100.
That would be $100,000 a year.. do you think you can live off of that?
And if you are worrying about if you need to be a musical prodigy or a 6 foot 6″ basketball superstar for this to work.. good news is you don’t.
All you have to know is just a little bit more than the next person and BAM you are an expert in that person’s eyes.
Here is an interesting little story:
When I was 12 years old, I had the dream of becoming an NBA player.. or at least making my middle school basketball team. I figured out that if I learn how to jump higher or even dunk the basketball that all my fellow team mates would be peanut butter jealous. For hours I researched on the internet on how a short skinny Asian boy could defy gravity.
Finally, I stumbled upon this guy named Jacob Hiller. Just a random guy that loved to jump and make videos about it. I binge watched all of his videos as I worked every day to figure out a way to jump higher.
And then it happened..
Everyone that followed Jacob became addicted raving fans that wanted more..
One day, he reached out to his fans and asked if he wrote a book about teaching his secrets of jumping higher would we actually buy it? Everyone said yes. The book was the Jump Manual and it was worth around $67. I grabbed my moms credit card without asking just to buy it because I was a true fan.
Today, Jacob has sold over 100,000 copies of his $67 “Jump Manual.”
Do the math.. that’s a lot of money made.
RELATED POST: 6 Lessons Learned from Building a 6 Figure Side Hustle
So just as Jacob did, you need to find out what it is you are passionate about and start writing about it.
Like anything it is going to take a whole lot of time and effort and at times it will feel like no one but your mom is reading your blog posts. Don’t quit. Give it 1 year before calling it quits as 95% of people that ever start anything end up quitting when things get just a little bit hard. But to live how others can’t you need to do what other’s won’t.
Jacob hiller was making videos and writing blog posts years before anyone even found his stuff. But now those blog posts and videos that he made years ago still make him over $1000/day without EVER having to work ever again. All because he found his 1000 true fans.
So ask yourself.. is working hard for 1 year with no results worth a lifetime of freedom?
If he can do it with just teaching people how to jump.. imagine what you can do with your passions.
So now you are probably wondering how the hell can you communicate with all these people directly? The most effective way is by building an email list. The email list is the main component when learning how to start a blog and make money.
This is exactly how I do it for mikevestil.com:
- I find out what it is people want the most and I turn it into a bite size piece of information that people can easily consume.
- I have people give me their email address in exchange.
- Then I send them hilarious, value packed, and slightly way too intimate details about myself at times (which you guys know if you are on my newsletter) all while recommending products that I believe will help their situation out.
- The software I use is Get Response. The pricing is super cheap and you can even try it out for free here. This is exactly what I use when I send out my daily newsletter.
- This is also what I use to automatically send out my cheat sheet and collect emails.
Your biggest goal is to first build an audience of 1000 true fans. Building your audience is your biggest priority over making money at first. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint.
Don’t worry though you can still make money by recommending products in your niche even though you haven’t created your own yet. This is called affiliate marketing. Focus on this for the first year while you are building your audience before selling your own products.
- Simply create your account with clickbank.com, go to the marketplace, and find products that fit your niche.
- As you can see there are so many niches out there that you can make money from.. from fat loss to helping people with diabetes.. to even helping people cut wood the possibilities are endless.
- The best thing about this is you didn’t even have to create a product, and you get to keep up to 75% of the sale. You don’t have to do any customer service or handle refunds.. your only role was to recommend things that you think would help.
After you have a good amount of emails, send out an email newsletter in your Get Response account and ask what is your audiences biggest pain point and that if you would create a product that would solve this would they buy it?
- Now you know exactly what it is they want and you made a confirmation that they would actually make a purchase.
- The next step is focusing on building a product that you can now sell for yourself. You no longer have to waste time creating a product that people might not even want to buy which would have been the biggest waste of time.
- Only do this after you have a decent sized audience and email list.
Wheewwww that was a doozey of a blog post. Hope this “How to Start a Blog and Make Money” Complete Guide was helpful!
Making a blog and earning a living from it is both challenging and exhilarating. And with everything that you now know on how to monetize a blog, get ready for an exciting adventure that awaits you.
Question: What are you most passionate about that you would love to share with the world? Leave a comment below!
Like This Post? Do Me a Favor and Share it!
And for more tips on how to make money online make sure you do the following:
- Subscribe to My YouTube channel
- Download The 3 Principles to 3x Your Income in Half The Time
- My Lifestyle Business: How I Travel the World and Get Paid
- Learn How To Create Passive Income With No Money
NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info. This adds no cost to you but it helps me focus on giving as much value as possible in every single post by being compensated for recommending products that I love using.